Dear Peter,

As a person who does RF , high speed digital and analog design and
supervises CAD layout work, I agree with you 100% . It's good when the CAD
people know more than just what to click to use their CAD tools and actually
understand the design.

I've seen so many horrendous layout jobs that I came to the conclusion that
each layout which passes the CAD person's verification and DRC checks must
undergo a final check done by a qualified engineer (this is part of our
design verification procedure in our company) . We are very fortunate to
have found a few good engineers who enjoy both the design and layout aspects
of their work.

Before that, a normal scenario was for example for the cad operator to route
a couple of analog 1GHz PLL signals together with some high speed logic
signals , minimize the logic signals trace length , and leave the PLL traces
the longest , routed on several layers and having a number of vias on each
1GHz signal !  Needless to say , things never worked from the first pass and
it was always the usual ballet of revisions and ECO's , weeks/months of
delays and thousands of $$$ wasted .

Best Regards,
Matt Tudor , MSEE
Elmar Technologies