At 04:28 PM 7/11/01 -0400, Bagotronix Tech Support wrote:
>All ranting aside, has anyone (any real PCB designers, that is) actually
>used the AutoRFQ thingy yet?  I would be interested to know how effective it
>is at getting competitive quotes from REPUTABLE PCB shops.  With regard to
>the NDA stuff, the marketing fluff says it "extracts the minimum numerical
>data required for quotation".  I assume this is board area, # of
>plated/unplated holes, # of layers, SMOBC y/n, # of hole sizes, smallest
>hole, etc.  It should NOT put the actual Gerber data in the quote package, I
>hope!  How about someone from Protel actually putting our fears at ease (or
>at high alert) on this by telling us exactly what data it sends?  Are you
>listening, Protel?

Such a tool should be accompanied with *very* specific information about
what is sent. What is sent should be in a text file that can easily be
read. In fact, the program should merely create the appropriate e-mail,
which could then be reviewed by the designer before it is queued for
sending. Proprietary data, if any, should be separately sent encrypted,
with a separate permission required.