Hi Ted,
Wow... this really got some very interesting attention... Good points all.
Ted, It sounds like you are working with those guys over at WindRiver in San
Diego. They have undertaken a project to 'standardize' all footprints in
millimeters and provide them with development tools and accessories to the
world for free (with WindRivers name all over it of course). Tom Hausherr, a
very experienced and driven PCB designer and leader in the PADS users group
in San Diego,  is coordinating the effort there along with consultation with
the leaders of the IPC Designers Council and volunteer designers and has
made considerable progress. The only drawback, that I can see, is that the
libraries that are being created are in PADS...., somewhat useless to other
cad systems. Is this where you got the inspiration to try to get this going
for Protel? It is really great to see the good will of so many technical
people being exercised for the common good of the industry as a whole. I
applaud your effort to make a difference! Keep it up! You 'nay' sayers...
its already happening on a pretty big scale, I have seen the progress Tom
Hausherr has made... its impressive. If the work is divided up among a large
group its very possible to do amazing things... Protel people are some of
the best technical people around... think about it. You can make a
difference, even if its only a small difference, it adds up. You are a great
bunch.... keep up the ideas... :)

- Bill Brooks

Bill Brooks
PCB Design Engineer
DATRON WORLD COMMUNICATIONS INC.
3030 Enterprise Court
Vista, CA 92083
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
IPC Designers Council, San Diego Chapter
http://www.ipc.org/SanDiego/
http://home.fda.net/bbrooks/pca/pca.htm