>From my standpoint, it is counterproductive to start a new list to deal with
this issue.  Having multiple lists merely serves to fragment the user
community.  If the topic is germane to Protel users, then it should appear
on this list.  I for one, do not have the time or the inclination to monitor
numerous lists.  I guess I need to be included as one who "is allergic to
new lists and only accepts them with difficulty".

Best regards,

Max P. Henzi, CEO
Lavenir Technology
2440 Estand Way
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523
voice: (925) 680-7400  fax: (925) 686-5131
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: www.lavenir.com

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Bagotronix Tech Support [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Wednesday, July 25, 2001 10:11 AM
To:     Protel EDA Forum
Subject:        Re: [PEDA] a lib. for everyone

> >You may prefer but the vast majority if people responding do not want
> >another mail list it seems...
>
> Mr. Wilson, we know, is allergic to new lists and only accepts them with
> difficulty. However, there will need to be a *lot* of detailed discussion,

I don't think a new list is needed to handle PCB footprint message traffic.
After all, aren't we all using Protel?  The footprints being distributed
would be in Protel data format.  Therefore, it's a Protel EDA Forum issue,
right?  The Protel EDA Forum is not just about workarounds and software
bugs, right?

I think a "lib for everyone" is a great concept, but it will always be an
unfinished work.  I would prefer if there was a web page we could download
PCB footprints from.  Not a huge library that may or may not have what we
are actually looking for, but individual footprints in their own little
files.  For example, if I am looking for an Amp RJ-45 footprint, I should
not have to download the entire AMP library before I find out the footprint
I want isn't in it.  If possible, the footprints should be in Protel ASCII
format so they could be used with older (pre-99SE) versions of Protel.

If we don't get a web page, we can still ask others in this list for
footprints.  I did so 2 weeks ago and got several responses that were
exactly what I needed - thanks to all who responded.  But if we do get a web
page for footprints, we could proactively contribute footprints.

As far as "verification" of parts goes, I oppose any bureaucratization that
would hinder or slow down the footprint distribution process.  This sounds
like more "total quality management" business school bullsh*t.  The buyer
beware - free stuff may only be worth what you pay for it.  Check the
footprint yourself before you use it.  I do.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com