On 01:10 PM 7/24/2001 -0700, Brad Velander wrote:
>Andrew,
>         please don't throw me into the simple nay-sayers

Nope. I didn't. Just "doubting" Thomas, to whom I originally replied.

>  I have my doubts
>about whether it could be accomplished amongst a group as diverse as ours,
>but it can be done. My concerns would be more for the diverse opinions and
>desired features within the library and coming to some consensus on a
>standard approach.

Features are the stumbling block. As has been mentioned, one person's "preferred"
footprint may not be another's. (my efforts, for instance, have been primarily limited
to hand-soldered PCBs, resulting in a need for much larger pads than might be expected
with other soldering processes)

This leads me to the conclusion that either multiple working footprints for a given
"base" footprint will have to be individually generated, or another process which
allows for capturing the variations within a single, generalized part, like folding an
agreed-upon group of mfg methods requirements into each footprint, by use of the
available layers, or by use of some other trick(s). Unless some "trickery" is
practiced, I'm concerned that the library size might grow beyond the expected <10K
count value that has been offered.

>         Many of us have that tendency to ramble, as long as it is a flow of
>thoughts that others can discuss and build on what is the problem with it?

None that I can think of. I was just practicing my apologetics ;)

aj

P.S. In answer to your question/comment a few days ago, I've been here all along,
never left, just on Hiatus for the last couple months, and so fell into the
nether-state of Lurker...Too much work on the decrepit 100+ yr old house to
accomplish, and too little time to accomplish it in...(right now, it's just too
"danged" hot here in Cleveburg to work outside in the sun all day long, (ex: 88F &
70%RH @ 5pm yesterday) so I have "un poco tiempo" with which to "play" before dragging
my butt back out into the lobster pot every so often.

*                      - or email -