Instead of a monster PCB footprint file with names that you can never match
to the footprint, how about a much improved PCB footprint wizard.

I spend quite a lot of time modifying the results of the Protel PCB
footprint wizard as it often asks for "stupid" dimensions that are not on
manufacturers data sheets. ie The Protel wizard asks for spacings at the
corner of a QFP where as data sheets usually give pad sizes and centre line
spacing.

It could also ask about paste, solder, plating and tenting overrides as
well. It could also allow mixing on units when entering (mills and mm).

You get the idea.

Regards

Ian Middleton