>     As for part naming, I think that only exact part numbers, down to the
> full suffix will do in such a database.  Though you can search for just
the
> prefixes in the database, we don't need the 'Napster' equivalent happening
> here, but it will happen anyways.

The problem with full suffix is that many parts use suffix modifiers for
non-physical specification.  For example, temperature and speed grades.
Perhaps some standard for indicating wildcards in those suffix character
positions is needed.  For example, MAX186??AP is a MAX186 of any precision
grade and temp grade, with an SSOP20 package.  Note:  this is not an
endorsement of Maxim parts!  Does anyone know if the wildcard character '?'
is acceptable in footprint names?  I haven't tried it.  If not, some other
non-alphanumeric character must be used (maybe '_').  Of course, this
example is a chip.  Many special footprints will be connectors and passives,
not chips.  The situation still applies, however.  AMP (or Tyco, whatever
they are calling themselves this week) connecters come in many variants with
similar footprints.

About Napster-like file sharing, the problem with it is that the person who
has what you want has to be online when you want it.  I don't like the idea
of exposing my workstation PC to the outside world with an open tunnel
through the firewall, and having to leave it on all the time.  That's why we
need a website to host this thingy.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.