no, you're not missing anything.  i think that using the annotation
text is not a bad idea, as long as i can tell the difference between
the two on a hardcopy.  if i can't then i believe i'd be nervous about
what's schematic and whats annotation.

of course, its actually the netlist that i'm gonna bounce against the
original schematic, so maybe it doesn't matter.  i guess i'm showing
that i'm confused about what i'm doing, aren't i?  i'm saying that i
want the two schematics to look alike so that i can compare them,
and then i say that i'm just using the protel-generated netlist for
verification.

i'm gonna hafta think about this.  there is an incredible amount riding
on getting this thing done right the first time.  we won't have a bed-
of-nails text fixture to verify the pcb.  if we end up populating a bad
board and trying to verify and troubleshoot it, we are doomed for
meeting schedule, and our development costs are gonna shoot way
up trying to use a repair test program to troubleshoot new manufac-
turing errors.

thank you, miker