At 10:09 AM 25/10/01 +1000, you wrote:
>Ian, it's actually pretty easy to "loose parts".
>We recently have had a situation where a group of components have been
>unknowingly moved into the negative region of the database as part of a
>move selection process early in the placement stage. It turns out that the
>syncroniser matches the parts and the pins for the nets....therefore no
>missing components.....The netlist exists in the database but the physical
>ratsnest does not (I assume the physical ratsnest is only valid for the
>database extents). The DRC was 100% ok. It would appear that the DRC makes
>the assumption that if there is a valid net but no ratsnest then the net
>must be connected. (ie no broken net) (also no clearance errors either)
>
>I would be interested if anyone else has had this problem.
>We use SP6, W98
>
>We only found it by noticing an associated text string on the left hand edge
>of the database area when zoomed right out.

I too have seen the moving components (not for a long time though), for me
at least, they have always existed in the netlist and the component
report.  I had not noticed what happens to the ratsnest when a component is
off in ga-ga land but it still exists in the database, the netlist, the
component report, the ASCII PCB version and even component browser. I have
not checked if they exist in an exported spreadsheet.

Thanks for the info on the ratsnets not showing for the "gone-ape"
components (technical term),
Ian Wilson