The last time I did my own taxes (about 2 years ago), you could take Section
179 expense deduction up to $19,000 in that tax year.  This means you don't
have to do the depreciation schedule for anything you can expense off.  Of
course, if you have more than $19K of purchases, you must either hold the
extra over until next year, or depreciate the extra.  I always chose to
expense them off, since depreciation is a pain in the butt, I never had more
than $19K to expense off, and 5-year depreciation for computers and software
is ridiculous.  Maybe that's one reason why there are so many obsolete
computer systems - the CFO won't let the IT dept. get rid of anything that
still has depreciation remaining.

I remember the year I bought Protel 3.X, I expensed it off that tax year.  I
will do the same for the 99SE upgrade.

"Try to walk, and I'll tax your feet"
"Try to design, I'll tax your [CAD] seat..." sung to the tune of "Taxman",
with apologies to the Beatles.

Hey, too bad there isn't a viable freebie CAD package for Linux.  No taxes
on free software running on a free OS!  I can dream, right?

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com