> -  Anyway, I'm sure, that to work 'together' with an autorouter saves you
> lot  of time and you have a return of invest in a short time.

I agree with George,
If you are laying boards out all of the time Spectra will pay for itself in
a year.  It is that fast  and  that good ! I lay boards out using spectra
that require little or no clean up.     You will never here me plugging
Cadence, but the autorouter is superb.    So ask ourselves now if Protel
released a real autorouter and it cost us  2k,   wouldn't it be worth the 2
K ATS price  just to get an autorouter?   Spectra at 35 K vs ATS 2K?   I
could pay the ATS fee for the next 15 years and still be ahead.   If you
don't get enough use out of the tools , why buy them in the first place.
It reminds me of my father who is retired has nothing to do so he decides to
dig a hole in his yard  for a fish pond.  He went out and bought a new
freaquen backhoe  to dig a  2 x 4 hole.   I asked him why he didn't rent a
backhoe instead buying one, he replied he just always  wanted one.    It got
used one, sat for a year then was sold.  So the hole cost him about 50 K to
dig.   If you are not using these tools full time consider subcontracting,
design services.     I know that's a tough pill to swallow, but someone who
buys spectra has certainly evaluated  their requirements and justified the
savings.  The same goes for the ATS plan, if you aren't using the tools,
then its tough to justify the cost.  A new autorouter alone will be worth
ATS.   Please ALTUIM ,  give us the router!

Mike Reagan
EDSI
Frederick DM