On 10:30 PM 18/11/2001 -1100, Douglas McDonald said:
>>The new router coming, we are told, might be a more serious competitor to
>>Specctra. If this is true, then the price increases Protel might be well
>>worth it. Even if the router was not as good as Specctra but was
>>substantially better than the current router, it might still be worth it.
>>So we are waiting....
>
>It's slightly off topic, but why have Specctra withdrawn all their OEM
>licenses. Last time I contacted them they went to great lengths to tell me
>that I wouldn't be able to get it from any other source but them. Has the
>thought of a good autorouter from Altium rattled them. Have they seen
>what's coming?
>

>Doug

I would doubt that Spectra (Cadence) would see a discussed, hoped-for,
never-seen, alluded-to, vapour-ware router from a company with a less than
glittering reputation for V1.0 releases as an input to a business decision
matrix.  My feeling is that Protel is pretty much disregarded as a serious
competitor by the big names in the US.  This can be an advantage if your
competitors disregard you but their clients don't, of course.

PCAD has some visibility but does Protel?

Ian