At 07:46 AM 1/2/2002 -0500, Sean James wrote:
>Be careful with planes. I made a pallet of 2 boards, and two of the planes
>changed nets. If I didn't catch it reviewing the gerbers, BOOM! Instant
>shorts.

I want to underscore this. Protel is not set up to combine PCBs, the most
serious problem being that inner plane layers are calculated layers, and a
net is assigned to the plane itself as distinct from any primitives that
might connect to the plane.

While it is possible to conceive of a way that the program could be written
to deal with this, that way would also, I suspect, add more unwanted
complications. With a negative plane, the plane itself (i.e., what is
present in the absence of any primitives) is copper and must therefore have
a net. If, when combining PCBs, the inner planes differ in net assignment,
something obviously has to give.

Many of us have said it many times: panelization is a job to be done in the
gerber, where net assignments are irrelevant. It is possible to set up PCB
files so that panelization in gerber is a trivial exercise, so if you must
control panelization, consider what I write below.

If each individual PCB design is offset from the origin by the appropriate
distances, the files can be merged to create a final, panalized file. Files
can be merged in CAMtastic or in Protel. I'd do it in Protel simply because
I am more familiar with Protel, and the panelized plot files would be
easily viewable. It *might* be possible to create a merged file containing
all the layers with only two batch loads, but I have not experimented with
this. I think it would work, though. If so, panelizing the gerber would be
truly easy and fast.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA