I'd run MSinfo32.exe on both systems and see if any differences
in running programs/drivers between the two systems can be observed.

I'd go to www.lavasoftusa.com install and run Ref-update and then
run Ad-Aware.

I'd go get ZoneAlarm from www.zonelabs.com .  (or sniff your outbound
packets with CommView http://www.tamos.com/) Make sure no one's trying
to "phone home" you don't know about.

I'd run someone's virii scanner.

I'd do all this to make sure the system which is running slower is clean of
virii/worms/trojans which might be stealing the CPU's time away from the
task we would rather have the CPU doing.

With the system as slow as it is,  it's probably going to turn out to
be something else.  But,  when weird stuff starts happening,  it's good to
know that your system hasn't been compromised,  and all is secure.

---Phil