Bob Jones wrote:

> I want to thank all those who responded. I may have sent people in the wrong
> direction by comparing 2 machines. Forget that there is another machine
> involved, it should not take 8 seconds to move text on an 0805 type part and
> 2 minutes plus on a larger chip.
> I will try to address the cache/memory issue today if I can (some work needs
> to get done).
>
> Anyone else with advise, keep it coming!

Some other things to try in order to narrow down the cause of the slowdown:

Test with .ddb file that is local to each machine.  Avoid using the network.
Unplug the network connection (if possible) to eliminate the network as a source
of the slowdown.  If Protel then complains about not finding a remote file,
investigate as a possible source of slowdown.

Try using a "vanilla" copy of Protel on both machines to see if there is a
difference in configurations.
Uninstall Protel on both machines using the Windows Add/Remove control panel.
Backup and then remove all Protel configuration files from the Windows system
directory.  To do this, open up the "Windows" directory (Winnt on NT/2000) on
the desktop.  Type Ctrl-F to open the find files dialog.  Enter *99se* into the
"Named:" field and then click the "Find Now" button.  The search should find 20
or so files that are not removed by the uninstaller and are used by Protel for
initialization and configuration.  Copy these to a safe place (if you care to
keep your current Protel settings) and then delete them from the Windows
directory.  Now reinstall Protel and run your test with a local .ddb file to see
if the slowdown still exists.  You can restore your original configuration by
replacing the configuration files with the backed up versions (no need to do the
uninstall/reinstall)  but Protel must not be running when you do this.

John Williams