Microsoft has different rules for their various products regarding license
downgrades, all the info is on their web site.

Anyway, for info regarding Operating Systems and Applications, Microsoft has
an easy to read chart:
http://www.microsoft.com/business/downloads/licensing/Downgrade_rights121101
.doc

Specifically, the only case that probably applies to most of us here are OEM
versions of Windows XP Pro:

"System licenses acquired via the OEM channel follow rights granted in the
OEM license.  PCs licensed for Windows XP Professional OEM are licensed to
use identified previous versions of Windows Operating System Product(s) in
lieu of Windows XP Professional (Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Professional,
Microsoft® Windows NT® 4.0 or Microsoft® Windows® 98 (Second Edition)."

Retail versions are not granted downgrade rights unless you have certain
licensing agreements with Microsoft (but in which case you probably aren't
using retail but volume licensing).

There are expections to the above chart, for example, I know you can buy a
new version of Visual Basic and are allowed to convert the licesnse to an
old version (ie. for 16 bit code generation, etc.).

I have seen no problems with availability of Windows 2000 Pro in retail
channels. My local Best Buy still sells new boxed Windows98SE.

Jacob Ellis