At 10:00 AM 2/25/2002 +0100, Edi Im Hof wrote:

>As far as I know, it's legally to downgrade. That means buy XP and install
>W2000.

Where does Mr. Im Hof get that idea? If Microsoft allows it in the XP
license, yes, of course it would be legal. But if it is not specifically
allowed, there would be nothing to create a W2000 license out of an XP license.

The existence of an unused XP license together with a used but illegal
W2000 license might be a defense against a charge of attempting to defraud
Microsoft, but this would only be mitigation, it would not establish
legality, it would only show lack of intent to defraud.

I see copies of W2000 Professional for sale on ebay. One auction is
expiring within 24 hours, has one bid on it of $99.99. There are others.

Another way to obtain a license might be to buy a system with it, then
uninstall it from that system and install it on one's presumably newer
system. The older system could then be sold with, say, Windows 98 installed.

But the simplest thing to do it simply to buy it. There are still places
selling W2000 Professional.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA