At 12:21 PM 3/5/2002 -0800, Dwight wrote:
>Select them, click & hold (as if to move), and press "L". This flips them to
>the opposite side of the board.

This does *not* work to accomplish the purpose of the original writer. Yes,
the components are flipped to the other side, and top side track will be
moved to the bottom, but the relationships will not be properly maintained.
Track is just moved without being mirrored. A DIP-8 footprint was mirrored
correctly, but the position of pin 1 (the component reference) became the
position of pin 8; I imagine that the flip was centered on the extents.

They did *not* get this right. We have written extensively about inversion;
it is necessary to have a layer chart to accomplish complete inversion, but
the majority of applications would be accomplished simply by interchanging
top and bottom layers while mirroring them, leaving other layers mirrored
but not changed to new layers. That -- if needed -- could then be done
manually one layer at a time. Usually it would not be needed.

Right now, when a mirror operation (X or Y keys) on a selection includes
components, a warning comes up that one is about to mirror a footprint
without changing the layer; it then suggests using the L key. But the L key
will give an X mirror about the component centroid -- I think -- plus the
layer shift. That's fine for an individual component, but not for anything
more complex. If it is a union of two parts that is selected, the L key
moves both parts to the other side of the board, but their relationship is
what results from each part, individually, being mirrored, so the
components no longer are in the same relative relationship.

Editing the layer attribute of a component performs the same operation as
the L key.

This is what they should have done. When a component is flipped with the L
key, it should have been mirrored on the cursor, not on the component
centroid. Likewise, other selected components and primitives would be
mirrored on the same reference and axis.

I do not know a way to flip a collection of components to the other side of
the board, except for the server which Mr. Wilson et al have written.

What *ever* gave Protel the idea to mirror the parts on the centroid??? The
result is that a footprint floating on the cursor, which normally is
floating with the reference point at the cursor, suddenly has some
*different* part of the footprint floating on the cursor. I cannot imagine
an application for this!

It was *harder* to do what they did instead of simply mirroring on the cursor!
This should have been fixed long ago....

Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA