Yes, from what I can remember they've incorporated several ways to hide
menus. If you bump the cursor against the side where the window pane is
located, it unrolls from the side. (This is user configurable of course, as
is everything else it seems)

The object selection has gotten more sophisticated and there is a live
spreadsheet of all object which to them is an alternate view of the graphic
represention of your board. The spreadsheet has some neat sorting and
editing features and operates on the live database of your PCB. If you're
curious about exactly what's happening while in the spreadsheet, it's a
click away to see the selection (or whatever) on the PCB.

One thing they did remove is the dual selection as we currently have. We now
have the selection and focus, which is pretty handy, but it also burns
people once in a while because they forget to deselect all before doing some
other selection operation. If you're used to pressing X-A before starting
another selection, then it's not a problem. Now they have one selection
without the addition of focus (like all other Windows programs), so when you
selection something you need to be careful in the other sense. You could
accidentally un-select everything if you forget to ctrl click to add
selected object. I'd say it's "six of one, half-dozen of the other" sort of
situation. They talked about maybe putting it back in, but I don't care that
much about it.

They did not add (sch) wire cleanup like Orcad has, but it does seem to be
on their list of things to do.

One really nice new feature is dimensioning in PCB. There are at least 6 new
dimensioning tools, and they attach themselves to objects on the PCB, so if
the object moves, the dimension adjusts. It's about time!!!! There is total
control of them too, the dimension text can be rotated, moved, or whatever
just by dragging it with the mouse. That's big time saver right there!

Here are some other features that stayed in my mine long enough to write
this email:

Ability to graphically cut rooms on the PCB.
New (and easier) ways to define split planes.
Way better BOM generator.

Multi-channel handling: Define one sch page of a repeated circuit and tell
it how many duplicates there are. You have nice control over annotating it
without flattening it. You then go to PCB and get a room for each
instantiation. Lay out one of them and tell IT to layout the others! Man
does this ROCK!!!

I think those of us that are beta people will really get a feel for what's
new and if it's worth it. I think so based on the time spent at the show.

BTW, the app only crashed once and we were poking around one of the very
newest features when that happened. I was impressed considering they haven't
even starting beta testing yet.

Now I've got to get back to work...

Tony Karavidas
Encore Electronics

http://www.EncoreElectronics.com

Designers of "The best MIDI to CV converter on the planet." -Keyboard Oct.
1997