Interesting way of ascribing Intelligent Design to Sheer Oversight ...

Actully, a feature. Here is why this happens, I think:

Protel assumes, when you are placing parts, that you will want the
relative
locations of reference designators etc. to be as you used for the last
part
placed. So it puts, if I am correct, the reference designator there.
When
the previous part was different from the one you now want to place, this

can be a very unuseful position. But Protel, at the same time, has
realized
that if you rotate the part from the previous position, you will not
want
the same reference designator position, so it restores the designator
text
to the default position. Thus if you want default, simply rotate the
part.
If you want what you used before, leave it unrotated.