Mike,
        I think that your library part may have been made at some distance
from the 0,0 reference in the library. With schematic symbols the placement
reference location is always 0,0. Typically a schematic part should be
designed with the end of one pin (or pin 1 if you like) always on 0,0. The
reason you get the reference designator located so far away is probably
because the part's gross outline is from 0,0 all the way out to your symbol
and Protel sets the reference designator and others arbitrarily somewhere
along the part's gross outline.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

See us at Booth S8155 at NAB 2002 in Las Vegas April 8 - 11.