Abd ulRahman Lomax wrote:

> At 09:34 AM 4/9/2002 +0200, Edi Im Hof wrote:
> I noticed this also. I just hit the spacebar fout times (rotate 360) and
> everything is fine. Clearly a bug.
>
> Actually, a feature. Here is why this happens, I think:
>
> Protel assumes, when you are placing parts, that you will want the relative
> locations of reference designators etc. to be as you used for the last part
> placed. So it puts, if I am correct, the reference designator there. When
> the previous part was different from the one you now want to place, this
> can be a very unuseful position. But Protel, at the same time, has realized
> that if you rotate the part from the previous position, you will not want
> the same reference designator position, so it restores the designator text
> to the default position. Thus if you want default, simply rotate the part.
> If you want what you used before, leave it unrotated.

Sounds like a good theory...

However, I find that Protel _always_ (well, almost always) places the
ref des and value some distance from the part, regardless of how this
text is positioned on any existing part, or even if I have never used
that part before.  A double flip of the part will always bring the text
in closer, to the expected position.

When placing multiple copies of a part, the first one will get the
misplaced text, but if it is corrected, successive parts will probably
have the text correctly placed.

I consider this to be a bug (not severe, but somewhat annoying)

--
Peter Bennett
TRIUMF