Well, I had decided to "kill the job", and get on with life.  So I started
pruning out processes with the TM to see if I could jump start it (something
blocking, maybe?) but nothing would liven up Protel again.  So I decided the
next must reliable way to get a clean exit from a hung app was the "Shut
Down" option from the "ctrl-al-delete".  Protel indicated that I was going
to lose all data but, lo and behold, when the system rebooted, Protel had
done an orderly shutdown and saved the .DDB correctly with all changes.

Good thing to know because I have a talent for getting this beast hung up at
times.

regards,
Tim Hutcheson