I have about one drive crash, physical crash, per year.
I'm convinced the technology the drives are built on is less reliable
that 10 years ago. It may be that the pressure to deliver makes
these companies deliver too quick.

Those drives from the 80-ies were reliable, some are still working,
even though 100MBytes appear a bit small.

A raid drive crash is fixed by replacing the hot spare drive and
ordering a new one.
A non-raid drive crash takes me at least 3 days to install a new
drive,
reinstall the OS, reinstall the software, reinstall the backup.

I never had a controller crash in 20 years. I do have a spare raid
controller though.
And since WinNT I never had wrong data due to the OS.

I admit a raid is not a backup though

Rene