I downloaded the atmel tools and noticed that there are more than just the
ATMEL.DL file you will need. There are also some executables that it will need
to be put into the Library\PLD directory.  It also appears that the Atmel
massaged version may have some of PEAKVHDL in it, which I would guess is to
provide VHDL support, since PLD only does CUPL.

Of course like most hardware vendor specific versions of software there may be
added and deleted features, and little good support. I remember getting CUPL
years ago free from Lattice and having it only work for the specific parts and
features they had, even though the commercial version worked with lots of parts.
On other free tools I have found things that the commercial version didn't do
because the hardware manufacturer wouldn't let them.

Rob

* Tracking #: 08CE344383E4F64CA189E14846EA7CDAE41122E3