I'm really p*ssed at Protel now , since I've found out they HAVE support for
the newer Atmel parts. It is free to download on the Atmel website, the
problem is you have to figure out yourself what to do to install it in
Protel (it comes with the goofy 30day trial PRotel schematic and PLD tool )
. There's no mention anywhere , at all, nada, that there are some updated
libraries . Atmel doesn't even say this is Protel, all they have is "a free
CPLD/CUPL/VHDL tool", you have to install it to see with your own eyes that
it's Protel 99se sp6 trial. Then delete it (it's so dumb it just tells you
it's installing PeakVHDL, then it's installing Protel 99se but no option to
not install it if it's already there and just upgrade libraries) . Then
figure out which of all that nonsense is what you really need . After wading
through 100 megabytes, here it is, a 900kb library file dated 1998 , state
of the art. In the meanwhile, Protel turned Altium promises upgrades, fixes
and they don't even give you what they have since 4 years ago for free from
Atmel . I hope I'm wrong but this is a case of the left hand not knowing
what the right is doing or even worse, planned obsolescence or some
marketing driven long term policy to compel users to upgrade . I don't have
a problem creating my own schematic library symbols, PCB footprints but I DO
have a problem that there are updated PLD libraries except you can only find
them only (or mostly) by accident .

I'll avoid Protel like the plague for all programmable logic and use the
free manufacturer tools.Sorry for the venting .

Thanks,

Matt Tudor, MSEE
http://www.gigahertzelectronics.com