Thanks , Rob. I have installed the free Atmel Protel on a differetn machine
and opened all PLD library files with a hex editor. I have found a file
called Atmel.DL which had the descriptions for all the Atmel CPLD's ,
including the one I needed . I then replaced the full blown PRotel PLD
library file (there was an identically named file in the full blown protel
library\pld folder ) and now all the missing chips are available. I was
going to test the functionality by compiling a known design to verify if
there are any version incompatibilities, but since you had this working the
same way I'll use it without additional sanity checks.

It's interesting to note that Atmel supplies the Altium/PRotel schematic and
PLD tool as a free download , packaged with a VHDL compiler for FPGA's . The
PRotel executables are the regular PRotel 99se (with sp6 included) files,
libraries are trimmed down to just Atmel parts but are more recent . The
Atmel.DL file I needed is dated 1998 , whereas the official PRotel 99se
Atmel.dl library file is even older. This just shows how much effort PRotel
really spends for the fixes and upgrades. All they had to do was include the
new Atmel library in their sp6 or make it downloadable off their website ,
since it is already available for free from Atmel. It took me a few hours in
all , from the clueless stage to having it working . It should take about 10
minutes in all for a software engineer who knows the Protel libraries and
knows they have this free PLD/FPGA design tool deal with Atmel. That's what,
$10 in cost for a library upgrade, at most ? i had initially suggested our
customer to go with xilinx and use their coolrunner parts since the webpack
is free and works