Very true, but for many of us, Protel is very reliable now. It never crashes
on me; it doens't trash my DDBs, etc.

Why would you be 'forced' to upgrade? If you wanted to, you could still be
running Orcad DOS, or Protel 2.8 or Easytrax. All that old stuff still runs
fine on old machines or newer machines. It's only the stupid PowerPCB type
dongle expirations that prevent you from going on year after year.