tools, preferences, display tab, layer drawing order button, default
button

(which i think is what you said below)

the symptom is that mechanical layers greater than mech 4 will not
display unless they are the current layer even if they are ON

examining the ADVPCB ini file there is a section of layer order stuff
and the mechanical layers greater than 4 are deleted by the above action

i went to another ini file on another machine and pasted the entire
section into the current one and then it was fixed again

the 'default' routine was apparently never updated after they added the
'new' mechanical layers some time ago

Dennis Saputelli