Yeah but the funny thing about that is MS is SO BIG, linux doesn't matter
either. Why would MS take a 50% hit in profits to suppress 5% of lost sales
to Linux?  (I'm making up those numbers but I bet they are not too far off)
So they loose a few customers...

Same thing with Altium. If YOU decide not to upgrade because Altium's s/w
doesn't run Linux, so what?  If we ALL decide not to upgrade, then maybe
they will think seriously about Linux, but I doubt it.

The reason I don't switch to Linux (I'd like to start messing around with it
soon) is because the apps I want to use don't support it. It's a catch 22.

The OS is so secondary to me anyway. I don't spend my time working on the
OS; I spend it in the apps. I could almost care less what OS I'm using. The
core requirement from the OS is that it remains stable and running. I
suppose if I was a systems administrator I would complain more about the OS,
but I'm not.

> Funny thing about MS:  they could forever prevent the spread of
> Linux to the
> desktop by dropping XPhome, dropping the price of XPpro to $40 (same price
> for new and upgrade), publishing their file formats to Office apps, and
> going back to their old licensing terms.  Most boxed Linux
> distros are about
> $30 - $40, so there would be no cost advantage to the buyer to go
> with Linux
> (unless they got it for free from a friend, which is legal).  Instead MS
> does the exact opposite and is pissing off so many people!
>
> What this means for Altium is that they must either continue to
> support W2K,
> or start supporting Linux, for future Protel releases.  That is, if they
> want me to upgrade ;-)
>
> Best regards,
> Ivan Baggett
> Bagotronix Inc.
> website:  www.bagotronix.com

* Tracking #: B93A21B60F130143BAD2C37A74DBDC78ED93E21D