On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 09:28, you wrote:
> > I've been told by my boss that for what Altium are offering with ATS it's
> > just not going to happen here. DXP is way out of the question.
> >
> > It's a pity that more people wont jump on this bandwagon. They'll
> > just keep forking out hard earned money for defective software.
>
> Likewise here, based on past performance ATS just isn't going to happen.
> If we wanted to give money away I could think of a much better charity --
> me for example :-)
>
> Is this the time to start the "open source SCH/PCB package" argument
> again.....
>
> Seriously -- as someone who has written a 3D CAD package, albeit not of the
> scale of Protel, this can be done.   I seem to remember this being
> discussed some time ago -- did anything ever come of it ?

Hi all,

There is an open source cad package called GEDA, it is not very advanced,
more a hobby thing, but as more people come onboard and request features (and
even help program them) it can be better than Protel currently is. A major
mind shifted is needed, with open source software, you do not necasarily
invest in it by using money, instead you invest using knowledge and skills to
make it better.

I have just dropped Protel and will be writiing to them to tell them I have
changed to eagle as they support unix and provide a unix version where as
Protel do not.

Regards,

Kat.

> * Tracking #: B2FF3E5618534C4595A0DB5B2D1D02EA9B1EF59F
> *

K.A.Q. Electronics
Software and Electronic Engineering
Perth, Western Australia