On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 23:51, you wrote:
> So you've dropped a pro package for a hobby package? Maybe it could be
> better, given enough time, but most of the people on this list aren't
> hobbyist, then make a living (in part) by doing SCH capture and PCB layout.
> Like I said before, what's your time worth?
>
> I've got a pretty good investment in custom components and knowledge of
> Protel. It would take a large screw-up on their part to make me switch. The
> worst thing that will probably happen is that I'll stop upgrading and just
> use 99SE forever.

Exactly time is money, I just switched my development machine (which I do my
AVR software on) from a Duron 900 to an Athlon XP 1800+, which meant a new MB
as the old one did not support XP cpu's. M$ counts this as a new system so I
had to reinstall the OS, atleast under UNIX all I may have to do is change
the cpu class in the Kernel and re compile ( ~2 minutes from scratch on the
Athlon 1800+) So what I may loose in a few minutes in using eagle (which for
my boards works well) I save in not having to rebuild my OS because M$ OS's
crash.  Win 2k crashed after a 12 month run, but with my backups I did not
loose much, only the os install. Funnily though that Office seemed to mangle
a few documents both word and excel both the main and the backups in a few of
my backups and now can not be read in.

All in all I can not complaine with *nix, sure I would like more apps, but
unless we all start talking with our feet and money, the big players (IE
Altium) will not listen.

Regards,

Kat.

* Tracking #: DD0CFD61B2CE344E9F231B926E40077767A1D227
K.A.Q. Electronics
Software and Electronic Engineering
Perth, Western Australia
Phone +61 (0) 419 923 731