The above is poor advise. In fact, it is the definition of poor advise. No
offense intended, but the motherboard is just about the most important
component in a computer workstation, and definitely not the kind of
component that should be offed to the "golly, them don't matter much'n,
anyways" category in a technical venue such as this, by technical
professionals like the average PEDA subscriber. If a consumer is about to
plunk down eight thousand dollars or so (US) on a niche market program like
Protel EDA, (or if the consumer already has...) and the consumer expects to
be productive, maximize profits, and minimize headaches and downtime, then
the consumer had better think long and hard before subscribing to the
WalMart Computing model, especially when it comes to critical components
like the motherboard. It is not unreasonable to expect that the user should
consider a cost of around $2500-3000 for the entire system (monitor
included), if he/she specifies the components and takes the time to get fair
price, perhaps 25% more if the task is delegated to a trust-worthy
"middle-man" operation. It should not be surprising either to accept that a
decent motherboard is going to cost you somewhere around $200-300 (US) (and
up)

Http://www.Supermicro.com is one area that Brian might want to investigate,
if Brain is interested in performance-level multi-processor motherboards.
Not a company poo-hooed by the gamer set, I know, because their designs
aren't all that friendly to over-clocking geeks, but then, as professional
engineers, PCB designers, and the like, most of us don't really have time to
be pissing around with such trivial and tertiary pursuits at work anyway...

2p+,

aj

* Tracking #: A64FAD8221983146AD3E7965686A68540350E602