My father just recently got a purchase requisition for a dual Xeon P4 system
approved for the CAD dept. at the company he works for.  His CAD dept. runs
AutoCAD.

He always asks me what is the current thing.  I always say, "why ask me?  My
newest computer is over a year old".  I tried to recommend a dual-PIII
machine, but he had to have the P4.  Unfortunately, the P4 is available in
dual-CPU systems only with the Xeon version (very pricey!).  His new system
cost about $6500.

I tried to talk him out of spending so much for diminishing returns, but he
always wants the biggest, fastest thing available at the time.  He says he
only gets approval for stuff like that once every five years, so it has to
last a long time!  And besides, it's the company's money, not his, that is
being spent.  Personally, as a business owner, I would want my employees to
be better stewards of my money than that.  But then, there is much strife
among the employees and management at the company he works for.  Sounds very
Dilbertian to me...

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.