Bagotronix Tech Support wrote:

> I tried to talk him out of spending so much for diminishing returns, but he
> always wants the biggest, fastest thing available at the time.  He says he
> only gets approval for stuff like that once every five years, so it has to
> last a long time!  And besides, it's the company's money, not his, that is
> being spent.  Personally, as a business owner, I would want my employees to
> be better stewards of my money than that.  But then, there is much strife
> among the employees and management at the company he works for.  Sounds very
> Dilbertian to me...

It truly amazes me what goes on in large corporations, especially
multinationals.
I have some friends who work for MasterCard, and the stories out of there are
beyond belief.  If there is a specific product that has anything to do with
computers,
it has to be bought from the vendor that has been specified for computer
acquisition
for that year.  So, if they need memory chips, or GPIB interfaces, or video
monitors,
or laptops, or IBM mainframes, they HAVE to order it from Unisys (the chosen
vendor at least some of the years).  I don't know what overhead Unisys would
charge
on a Dell laptop, or an IBM 390 mainframe, or a memory stick.  But, it HAS to
cost WAY over what you can just buy it from the manufacturer for.  Also, it
usually
takes something like 2 days of manpower to make sure the chosen vendor actualy
know what to buy for you from the actual manufacturer of the item!  The
internal
overhead must cost them $1M a year, minimum, just at their St. Louis facility
alone!

Scott Adams might have to start a whole new comic strip if he knew what went
on there!

Jon

* Tracking #: B6A3556EEB60CC45B4642F880D954558E105F6A4