Just my 2c worth on this.  I guess it all depends on what you want.

If you are building from scratch,  I'd look at:

- Antec for the case and power supply. (
http://www.antec-inc.com/en_perf_plushome.html )
(A hefty 400-430W power supply and lots of case fans to help keep things
cool and reliable.  Have a look at their SOHO line)

- Asus, Abit (or Intel) for motherboards.

I think that if a system board has been shown to run reliably at some
percentage over it's specified clock speed,  that is an indication of how
reliable the system is going to be at it's (lower) rated normal speed.  Reliability
seems key here,  so I'd not completely dismiss a gamer's
"overclocking" review,  for this reason.

(ok, ok,  so I play some Descent in my spare time,  but I don't overclock!!)
---Phil

work on.  Tony was right ->(You must have quoted
BG> someone a flat rate on a big job??? :))<  I did.  I do not wish to be late on the
job, or, cut corners to save time.  Repeat
BG> business here
BG> would be a big + to my bank account. :)

BG>     This is not the first time I had a contract to re-do an existing PCBs because
of a sloppy, auto-routed design that was plagued
BG> with manufacturing & odd functional problems which differed from board to board.

BG>     Impressed with my existing manual layout work, I've been contracted to manual
re-route a huge board.  Personally, this is not my
BG> favorite
BG> type of work, but, the $$$ I'll be making is well worth a professional system
which should glide through all of the aspects of the
BG> PCB design.

BG>     It's sad however, If Protel were to fix the auto-pan, I mean, really do it
properly, I might be tempted to work with my existing
BG> Dual 1GHz system, but, system performance affects many other things like,
re-building polygons, DRC, push & shove routing,