I would guess that your money on Protel would go the furthest with a lower
cost motherboard and LOTS of memory and plenty of display space.  Cut those
pans.  dual display?? triple display ??matrox g550 is working nicely here
on 2 diplays.

My point being if you are manually laying out, I wouldn't expect any wait
w/ a dual athalon at about 40% the price of a dual p4 for 95+% the
performance.   The money spent on display hardware and memory should have
the greatest effect.  Also for compute intensive jobs like the autorouter
or fpga compilers, I wouldn't expect that much improvement w/ a dual P4
over a dual Athalon.

Mike