My patch was for older ATI & Matrox PCI cards where the mouse would get so stuck,
that you would be waiting a good 30 seconds or
more before it would unglue.

    This would all change if I were to fix the problem at it's source within the PCB
source code.  Probably nothing more than adding
a wait for the mouse to refresh it's coordinates & allow Windows to update it's GUI
before doing the next advance / scroll on the
PCB window.  This is not the first time I've seen software which has been written to
run as fast & tight as possible, but the
software designer forgot to allow Windows to update it's GUI.

    When there are no items on the display, the pan is nothing more than a HW blit,
and it gets repeated so quickly that there are
no outlets to allow windows to update it's pointer.  So, a pan routine which depends
on the mouse input to control itself can get
stuck under the right circumstances.  When there are a lot of objects to be newly
drawn on the window during the pan, the video
card's 2D drawing engine, on all cards, are properly designed to allow windows to
update mouse & keyboard actions of window's GUI
while it works.

My favorite example of Protel poor multitasking design:
Open your task manager & go to the performance tab.
Open a Protel PCB & press P-T. (Place track.)
Watch your CPU utilization & laugh.

Brian Guralnick
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice (514) 624-4003