Anand asked:
I am currently designing a printed circuit board in which the main part is a
XILINX FPGA.
What I want to know is:  (please read on)
Upon  completion of  the schematics of the board design
do PCB designers  do anything to verify the correctness of the board
schematics ....like simulation ?
Especially where something complex like a XILINX FPGA is involved.
do PCB designers simply trust the correctness of the schematic and proceed
with  PCB placement and routing ?
In short ,is any board-level simulation (involving SPICE models or something
similar) done before fabrication of the board ?

***********
Hi Anand,

Although we do perform simulation on occasions, its not really
to verify copper path connections noted in a schematic, but to
ascertain that component parameters perform as advertised, or,
on the PCB. to examine parasitic or distributed-circuit charac-
teristics.

And I'll be honest with you... I do NOT do simulations for the
physical layout of our boards.   I follow good design rules
when laying the board out, such as keeping traces far enough
apart to prevent too great of crosstalk, using controlled im-
pedances when necessary, and keeping ground and power planes
close together.  I am not saying that you should not perform
this sort of simulation.  We do very small limited runs.  This
allows me to add another couple layers if I want to spread
things out.  In a big production run this would arbitrarily
introduce unacceptable added costs, and the price for an
effective simulation would probably be worthwhile.

good luck, miker

* Tracking #: 06D2151CAADF5C48870F208E48FFABC7CDE708BE