Ray Mitchell wrote:

> Tony,
>
> My printer is configured as a simple Ethernet IP printer.  Several users
> here tried the HP Jet Admin stuff but it never worked properly.  I'm not
> clear on the printer driver business, though.  If a printer is networked
> does each user still need to fool with printer drivers on their individual
> machines or is the printer driver somehow now attached to the printer
> itself?

The driver is part of Windows (sort of), and is associated with the icon
you can select under control panel/printers.  When problems showed up,
I often downloaded a printer driver from HP's web site (for HP printers,
of course) and installed it.  This often fixed odd problems with the Windows
default drivers.  So, yes, you still need the RIGHT driver on your machine,
and a generic Windows HP driver may not get all possible graphical
possibilities to print exactly right.

>  Actually, the long overbar problem just started.  I'm not sure
> when, however.  I'm beginning to wonder if Win2K SP3 might not have caused
> the problem, or possibly one of the other multitudinous periodic updates
> that Microsoft comes up with.

Yes, that is possible.  You may want to add an additional driver from HP and
try it.

Jon

* Tracking #: B41BF3B030570C4797FC61D3355F2590993FD856