We've had this problem since getting Protel.

And two other similar problems.

1:      Invert Circles on IO's are missing.
2:      Some outline boxes (e.g. text box) are missing (does not affect
filled boxes)

Protel say its the printer drivers fault (but no other program produces such
wierd output).  I gave up a long
time ago expecting Protel to fix 99se problems.

It seems to happen more prevelenty in PCL6, though i've seen it with PCL5.
The solution is to go to printer settings | print quality | Graphics Mode
and set to to 'raster' also set
halftone to 'Protographic Image'.

If this does not work, try a different PCL5 driver for your printer, there
is often more than one.

Hope this helps.

Jason.

P.S. Our printers are