JaMi Smith wrote:

> All of the following questions are based on the following premise: I have
> Gerber files of an old design that I want to import into P99SE or DXP, and
> notwithstanding the initial problems that I may have getting the files
> imported, lets assume as a starting point that I have all of the appropriate
> primitives imported on to their appropriate layers. Another way to look at
> Question 1. Will Protel 99 SE, or Protel DXP, or any other EDA System for
> that matter, allow me to select a group of primitives, say for example pads,
> and then "collect" or "un-release" those selected primitives into (or back
> into) an association or group (which actually will ultimately become
> component with all of the "smarts" of a regular component)?  Possibly
> another way to state this would be: is there any way to do an "un-release"
> of all of the primitives of a component (besides doing "undo" immediately
> after doing it), by selecting all of the primitives and "magically" making
> then reassociate to each other as a component.

I think there's a way to do this.  After batch Gerber inport, select each part
carefully, to only select the pads.  Delete the pads, and then place the
correct footprint (DIP, etc.) over the position.  After doing this for all
footprints, you should be able to export a correct netlist (it will have
randomly assigned net names, of course).

I don't think there is any automated way to do this, but it should not be a
very difficult process, and should not take more than an hour even for a fairly

complex board.

This WILL get you a netlist.

Jon