At 05:09 PM 9/24/2002 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
>I don't think there is any automated way to do this, but it should not be a
>very difficult process, and should not take more than an hour even for a
>fairly complex board.

That's pretty optimistic, I'd say wildly optimistic, having done quite a
few such translations. First, it may be necessary -- it is usually
necessary -- to create all the library parts. Using existing parts is not
advisable because these *can* be slightly different and the goal of a
gerber import is to reproduce the board to the resolution of the gerber
files, so that one could re-fab it without there being any differences, or
at least as few differences as possible.

The footprint pads will all need to be assigned designators. Building a
single component might take an hour, if it is sufficiently complex! (Protel
does not have a good pad numbering tool. Tango DOS had a great one, easy to
use....)

Then there are the complications with solder mask. Yes, this won't affect
net list.