Sorry for the late response, but I was studing for a test and wrapping up a
few other things, and was unable to get back to this thread.

Anyway, thanks to all of you that responded.

My initial querry was simply to find out if Protel or DXP or any other
systems out there might have a few proficient "tools" or "capabilities"
directed at recovering or importing  an old legacy design into a current
"database" when only a few non intellegent files such as gerbers were
available.

I have had to look at this problem from time to time in the past, and I just
wanted to be knowledgable in the event it comes up in the future, and I need
to assess the amount of time that might need to be expended on such a
venture.

I have delt with some intelligent gerber editors in the past that I know are
capabile of doing some of the functions that I was asking about, but that
doesn't really address the issue of "recovering" the data into a "database"
that is usable by some EDA system.

It seems that some of the functions that I am asking about would not be to
hard to implement as a server or otherwise incorporate into an EDA Package
if someone were really interested, and I just thought that perhaps some of
the major EDA Software players out there had already done this, since it
would appear to be at least a minorly atttractive selling point to some one
who had a lot of legacy designs that might need to be supported and possibly
upgraded.

Thanks again for your response and input.

JaMi