Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

> At 05:09 PM 9/24/2002 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
> >I don't think there is any automated way to do this, but it should not be a
> >very difficult process, and should not take more than an hour even for a
> >fairly complex board.
>
> That's pretty optimistic, I'd say wildly optimistic, having done quite a
> few such translations. First, it may be necessary -- it is usually
> necessary -- to create all the library parts. Using existing parts is not
> advisable because these *can* be slightly different and the goal of a
> gerber import is to reproduce the board to the resolution of the gerber
> files, so that one could re-fab it without there being any differences, or
> at least as few differences as possible.

OK, if you need to build footprints, then it is going to take more time.
I was not thinking of making Protel produce an identical Gerber output.
I was mostly thinking of some way to automate extracting the netlist
from gerber files.

> The footprint pads will all need to be assigned designators. Building a
> single component might take an hour, if it is sufficiently complex! (Protel
> does not have a good pad numbering tool. Tango DOS had a great one, easy to
> use....)

Yeah, there were a LOT of things that worked better in the old Tango!
The schematic editor was a lot faster, and easier to move things around
to clear up a spot to add a new component.

Jon