>>1. Should I install an anti-virus program?

Depends on your level of Internet savvy.  I prefer to not run Virus software
and I haven't ever gotten a virus in the past 8 years.  There are a few
intelligent decisions you can make to keep yourself free from virii.

(1) Don't run MS Outlook.  I'd estimate 99% of all virii, worms, Trojans, etc
are all written to exploit continued vulnerabilities in this program.  When
people write  a virus they want the largest target audience possible and most
of corporate companies use Outlook/Exchange.  I prefer Eudora.. its has more
useful features and a better UI than Outlook, I have it managing 6 email
accounts simultaneously, and it has never had a virus written for it.

(2) Run a firewall on or before your workstation.  No need to have any
machine on the internet these days with all its ports open.  The time it may
take a vulnerability to propagate through the hacker community is usually a
lot less than the time before you hear about it and have time to secure your
machine with a patch or service change, etc.

(3) Stay up-to-date with what virii are currently out there.  Know what they
look like so you can be assured what kind of attachments you are going to
expect in your email and how to take precautions.  That way if someone does
email you a virus you can identify if its Klez, Sircam, etc etc and know if
you are at risk or not.