>> My question is how do you view and/or check the gerber? Is there some
gerber
>> viewer program out there that I need to know about, or perhaps a
feature in
>> protel99se that I'm not aware of.

Yes. It is called CamTastic and you should have received a copy with
Protel 99SE.

>I think that this is one feature that Protel is really missing.  The
ability
>to preview (in a graphical sense) the produced gerber file.  There are
free
>downloadable gerber previewers available just by doing a google search.
The
>one I've got on my machine here is PentaLogic ViewMate.  Although I don't
>really use it as much as I should...

This is why Protel 99SE includes a license for CamTastic. Of course in DXP
CamTastic has been merged into the rest of Protel and you can have it
automatically open the Gerber files after they are generated.

>I think that perhaps the print(ing) in Protel should be done using the
>Gerber interface as this way it will force a correct Gerber interpreter
into
>the program, as well as correct Gerber creation. :)

Protel used to do this (PCB 3.0 I think). Instead of creating a Gerber,
you would print to gerber. This was confusing to many, and it did not
force a correct gerber generator. I think the current method is much
better.

Robert D. LaMoreaux
MTS Systems Corp.
Powertrain Technology Division