The Gerber file extensions are listed in the Help Files under: Index>Output, generating>Gerber File Output Setup>File Extensions Used to Identify Each Gerber File. They are also in the printed Protel 99 manual on page 610.

To view the files, you should use a Gerber editor such as Camtastic, Viewmate, or GCPrevue.

Full version Camtastic came with 99SE, but you can also download a free Camtastic viewer at: http://www.altium.com/camtastic/downloads/viewer_rego.asp
Viewmate free Gerber viewer is available at: http://www.pentalogix.com/Download/download.html
GC-Prevue free Gerber viewer is available at: http://www.graphicode.com/pages/download.cfm