Alfonso Baz wrote:

Hi all

On several occasions I've seen postings here, that suggest checking Gerber
files for nefarious errors.
I've examined these files and found them to be text files full of data (a
lot like EPS files).
I'm hoping that checking Gerber files doesn't mean understanding the data!
8-)

My question is how do you view and/or check the gerber? Is there some gerber
viewer program out there that I need to know about, or perhaps a feature in
protel99se that I'm not aware of.

Yes, you do an import of all the Gerber files to a new (blank) PCB file. Then, with
display single layer, you can examine each Gerber plot by itself. You can actually
detect a few odd things that are not clear on the standard PCB display, but especially
problems in the generation of the Gerbers and the associated apertures.

Jon