On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 10:31:49 -0500, Mike Reagan wrote:

>Does anyone out there know how I can set all my windows programs, Client 99
>included to point to another drive by default.  ie  everything I  save and
>open defaults to a Microsoft directory,  like "c:\my documents"   ,  Since I
>never store anything that has hooks to Microsoft , I would like a defualt
>to open explorer to another Drive or my own folders and look in my D drive
>first

Hmm, programs often remember the last used location for file open/whatever
dialogs.

For those that don't specify a directory the dialogs would default to the
current directory. The means you could set a starting directory in the
program shortcut and within a session the current directory worked like
memory for last used directory.

In Win98 (or probably some slipstreamed IE update - I don't remember) the
default for system file open/whatever dialogs changed to "My Documents"
which is incredibly annoying because the current directory memory is lost
and you have to navigate away from "My Documents" in *every* dialog.

There are ways to change the location of "My Documents". You can speed
things up by placing some shortcuts to the directories you want to use in
"My Documents" so at least they are only a click away.

To disable the default starting in "My Documents" on Win98 add this
registry key

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Documents]
@=""
"DisableStartInMyDocs"=dword:00000001

Don't think that will work under 2k or XP.

Cheers, Terry.